Printable PDF found here
Learning who Satan is and what his purposes and powers are can help you to overcome temptation. Satan wants you in his power, he wants you to forget who you are and the purpose you have come to earth to fulfill. Sometimes it just takes the tiniest temptation or sin to get you off the path and off focus, but darling girl you CAN’T afford that! You were born to do something GREAT…something with PURPOSE! That time is NOW! Heavenly Father wants you to feel His love, and temptation has to be avoided to be able to feel it constantly.
Like President Uchtdorf has said, “Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. It is our fear, doubt, and sin that, like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us.”
If we want to constantly be catching these blessings, we must be overcoming temptation and avoiding sin.
Here are 5 Ideas to help you overcome temptation:
1. Surround yourself with people who share your same standards/moral values
While it’s important we aren’t judging those who don’t share standards, you can’t risk your own eternal happiness. Pray often for guidance in balancing such relationships and always avoid situations or places where temptations may come upon you. Start now to make decisions for your life, decisions that no matter what happens you won’t cross that line. Temptations won’t be as strong if you make the decision ahead of time, knowing you won’t compromise no matter what.
Side note for parents and leaders: PRAY for your young women to make good friends, friends will influence a larger majority of the choices and actions your young women will take part in. Mentor her into finding good friends and be an example of what a good friend is.
2. Memorize a favorite hymn. Anytime inappropriate thoughts or temptations enter your mind, start saying the words of the hymn or signing them in your mind and you will find the thoughts and temptations will leave. Light and darkness can’t live in your mind at the same time, it’s either one or the other…you decide!
3. Get rid of media that could cause the spirit to leave. Books, movies, songs, posters, magazines, pictures, etc. all have the power to influence you for good or bad. Check out the For Strength of the Youth pamphlet to see if your media follows the guidelines set by church leaders. If you don’t feel comfortable showing others, perhaps it’s time to pray about what needs to be done.
4. Pray morning and Evening/ Read Scriptures Daily This one is the simple primary answer that actually offers the most spiritual power. // Matthew 6:6
Heber J. Grant said, “I have little or no fear for the young man or the young woman, who honestly and conscientiously supplicate God twice a day for the guidance of His spirit. I am sure that when temptation comes they will have the strength to overcome it by the inspiration that shall be given them.”
Never underestimate the power of a prayer.
5. Live Anxiously Engaged. D&C 58:27 “Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness”
As you engage your life in service and every good thing, you will find you have no time to get distracted. When a temptation does hit you, distract yourself. Get up and go for a walk, serve a neighbor, mentor someone in your neighborhood, just do something… and do something Heavenly Father would be proud of!