Parts of this post came from the book ‘Young Women Standards’ Written by: Linda Dastrup
When a rock is cast into a lake, a rippling effect takes place. It begins small and continues quickly until it reaches clear across the water. There is no way to stop this rippling effect or call it back once it has begun. Compare this rippling effect to gossip, criticism, or other forms of harmful words that tear others down. When gossiping takes place, it’s next to impossible to take back what has been said or the damage that has been done. Rumors spread quickly and can destroy individuals.
The same rippling effect takes place as we speak about others in a positive way. Starting a ripple of positive comments is the only ripple that is worth starting. We need to always remember to spread the good and put an end to that which isn’t worth repeating. As we learn to refrain from all harmful speech, others will respect and trust us more. We have the ability to lift and build those around us by the words we choose.
UNITY GROUP ACTIVITY IDEA:
The purpose of this activity is to start a positive ripple effect that can build and uplift each other creating a stronger sisterhood. By giving compliments, praise, and love to one another the unity in your group will grow. Respect and friendship will soon be found all by the power of creating positive ripples.
This group can be used in young women’s, at school, families, or any other kind of group you’re trying to create unity with.
Here’s what to do:
- Form a large circle that includes your whole group.
- Give a rock to every third person in the circle. Have all those who are holding a rock pass it, in unison, to the person on their right. As they pass the rock, they should say something positive about someone in the circle.
- Each positive comment should travel around the circle with the rock it started with before another comment is started with that rock.
- Remember that several rocks are being passed at the same time. Many positive things are being shared about people in the circle simultaneously.
- When the rock comes back to the person that started the positive comment they pass it to the person at their right. Then that person begins a positive ripple around the circle.
- Repeat the ripple until each person in the circle has had a chance to start a positive ripple about someone else.
- Discuss how everyone in the circle felt as the positive ripples were taking place.